Friday, June 17, 2011

Needlework Owl Sewing Kit to my Sister

Many years ago I saw an owl needle case online.  I liked the idea & kept it in my idea book.  Now, years later, I wanted to make one for my sister's big birthday since our Italian family Lare is an owl, but I couldn't remember who to attribute my inspiration to.  I remember it was just a couple pictures, but had no tutorial with it.  If you recognise something similar to this, let me know & I will give you credit. I had no idea how to start, so I decided to ask my DH to draft a pattern up for me.  And he did!  Not only a pattern but instructions!  It's wonderful to have a co-creator as a life partner!  And I hope our Owl Lare continues to protect my sister.
Here follows a tutorial for the one I made which was much larger than the one I saw online & used very different materials.
1.  Get DH to draft the pattern for you!
2. Cut out the pattern pieces.
3.Set out where pieces will go.
4.  Cut out lining pocket and felt.
5.  Sew owl body to cover.
6.  Sew owl body parts to cover.
7.  Sew branch and leaves to cover.
8.  Owl sewn to cover.
9.  Sew wing closure, felt and pocket.
10.  Sew gusset pocket to lining.
11.  Add snap to wing.
12.  Add snap to body.
13.  Blanket stitch lining to cover.
14.  Here's the finished lining full of useful items...including a band aid!
15.  Here's the snapped & finished cover.
16.  Here it is RTG with a card made by my pal Azlina.
You can see her site here.  If the link doesn't work,
try:  http://azlina-lin.blogspot.com/  Seems to be having some
problems today.  Maybe 'cuz of all my updates!
My sister liked her sewing kit.  It may come in handy this summer
since her daughter is getting married!

4 comments:

Just Me Jody said...

I do so love OWLS, love this one to.

CC said...

My sis loved it too! She may need it with the wedding coming up! :)

mAtilda said...

ciao cara, ma sai che mi era sfuggito questo sewing set? E' bellissimo!
un grande abbraccio, a presto

hello dearest, but you know that this sewing set was escaped to me? it is beautifulst! a great embrace, soon

CC said...

Ciao cara! I'm glad you liked the owl sewing set. My sister liked it too! I have so much to blog about but have been busy and tired. I am doing a creativity workshop which adds more work to my life. But it is all good!
More coming soon!
CC
Ciao cara!! I' m. felice avete gradetto l'insieme di cucito del gufo. La mia sorella lo ha gradetto anche! Ho così tanto al blog circa ma sono stato occupato e stanco. Sto facendo un'officina di creatività che aggiunge più lavoro alla mia vita. Ma è tutto il buono! Più venuta presto! CC