Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Amulets and Talismans

So I decided I wanted to make some amulets and talismans.  Not sure if I'd carve them from stone, bead them, or what.  So since I couldn't decide, I decided to practice with some pouches to hold them.  This one is to hold a small item.  I used a larger yarn:
This one is a copy of my iPod holder.  Only I used a crochet thread instead of yarn to see how the size of the pattern would change:
The one on the right is a knotless netting pouch I made with waxed linen.  I decided to see what would happen if I changed the technique to crochet & used a larger yarn.  The result is on the left:
This one I used crochet thread & a ridge stitch.  People seem to like it almost as much as the knotless netted one.  But this tiny pouch took 2 and 1/2 hours!
So after all this experimenting I decided that, except for special occasions,  I'm just gonna make a flannel or felt pouch for the talisman or amulet.  Now to get to making them!!!

No comments: